Right Now The Ever-Changing Banner Is...

newly sprouted spring leaves on a Sand Oak (Quercus geminata) at Big Lagoon State Park.

Saturday, April 4, 2015

Sustainable

I have the best of both worlds, the street where I live and the surrounding area is rural enough that I see everything from wild turkeys and coyotes to whole families of raccoons setting out for an evening's hunt, but I'm also less than five minutes from several shopping centers. Lately I've noticed that I'm becoming a bit more European in my habits, instead of loading up at the grocery store every couple of weeks or so, now, on a day when I'm running several errands, I stop and pick up just a few market items at a time. I'm also shopping in a lot more places locally and it seems I'm also enjoying shopping more, actually looking forward to it for a change.


On one of my recent runs I stopped at the neighborhood Winn Dixie and found these out in front as I was leaving.  I wasn't sure what I was looking at but it turns out they're kiln dried birch logs designed to ignite with just matches. I'll admit I really like the look of them and even the idea behind them but not so much the need for them. I love to camp and to light the occasional friendly fire pit at home but for me building a campfire is at least half of the allure. I'll stick to the logs we've collected from our tree prunings, etc. Besides, birch trees in Florida? Give me sustainable live oak any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment